25 January 2009

Chicken N' Dumplins

So so sorry for my prolonged absence. Not because I haven't been cooking... just because I have been a lazy blogger. Well-- here and now I promise to update at least... hmm... twice a week.
I will make it so.

So, to jump start this back up, I will focus on a few "comfort food" recipes. I have just come down with my seasonal cold/sore throat, and comfort food is always on the brain.

Yesterday, I decided to make a big batch of chicken and dumplings, which-- if you are not from the south-- you may have never heard of. It is just a big pot of big, fat, tender noodles and shredded chicken in a rich thick broth. Yum.

I had to work yesterday morning, so I was dreaming of C&D the whole time. At one point, I had convinced myself that I would go completely from scratch... boil the whole chicken, skin it, bone it, shred it. Make my dough of flour and egg, roll it out, cut out and dry the dumplings....
By the time I got out of work, all I wanted was to EAT those C&D, not slave over them.

So- I called up my chef hotline--Dad-- and asked for his current quick recipe. And here it is (slightly adapted by me):

Chicken and Dumplings

INGREDIENTS
34 oz box of chicken stock
34 oz water
3-4 chicken thighs (skinless, boneless or bone-in)
3-4 chicken breasts (skinless, boneless)
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter
10 flour burrito-sized tortillas, halved and cut into 1 1/2 - 2 inch strips
seasoned salt (to taste)
dried thyme (to taste)
fresh ground pepper (to taste)

METHOD
Pour chicken stock and water in a big pot and bring to a boil. Add your chicken pieces, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Remove chicken pieces and set aside to cool. Strain any excess fat or chicken "debris" from broth. Add milk, butter, and seasonings and bring to a rolling boil.

Add tortilla strips one by one, pushing gently to the side of the pot with a wooden spoon to make more room, if necessary. Allow to gently boil for 5-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, de-bone (if necessary) and shred chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add back to pot in small batches, gently folding in to dumplings. Reduce heat to low, and continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.



1 comment:

Michael from dadcation.com said...

Stop being lazy. Laziness is the devil. Like foosball, but less violent.