21 January 2008

Pot Roast and Dark Beer

With the cold weather comes Pot Roast. I usually make this in a slow cooker or in an oven bag, but I decided to give my Le Creuset a whirl.

I tried a new recipe, Americana Pot Roast, from Cooking Light. I substituted a 1/2 cup of Guinness for the 1/2 cup of red wine.

My wee 3 quart dutch oven was barely big enough to contain the deliciousness... but it prevailed! The leftovers will become Shepherd's Pie later in the week.

I also wanted to add green beans to the pot, but no room. So I made my go-to recipe, Garlic Pepper Green Beans.

Carrie's Garlic Pepper Green Beans
Bring about 2 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add about 
1 lb. trimmed fresh green beans and cook for about 4 min.
Drain beans and rinse with cool water.

Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-
high.  Add green beans, a couple shakes each of coarse salt, 
fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and a dash of crushed 
red pepper.  Sauté for about 1-2 minutes and serve!

We enjoyed this feast with a Yuengling and Eagle vs. Shark.

No comments: