30 January 2008

Bolognese: Meatloaf Sauce?

I've been wanting to try to make my own pasta sauce, kind of like you see in the kitchen of an Italian, sitting on on the stove, simmering all day to perfection.

I found this recipe on Cooking Light after reading not martha's post on making batches of food to freeze to save time later. (This is something that I want to start doing, also.) She had a recipe that sounded great, but took about 3 hours or more. I was in the mood to do something after work. The recipe I used required and hour and 40 minutes of simmering-- just about right.

I used all ground round instead of the different meats, and had to use cooking wine (what I had).  I also added a little crushed red pepper, because I like a little spice.  Instead of fettuccine I used Ronzoni's Smart Taste (extra fiber) penne rigate, and added a little bit of shredded parmesean.

We both liked the sauce-- but it was a bit different than what we are used to. We usually eat the chunky tomato, basil, garlic kind. This tasted like, Tom said, meatloaf. He was kind of right. It was good, though, so I think next time I'll combine the veggie-creamy aspect with some more chunky tomato, garlic, and basil flavors.

No comments: