03 April 2008

Tasty Fish for Picky Boys

I have been trying to incorporate more fish into our diet, but Tom isn't the biggest fan. This has put me on a search for tasty fish recipes that will satisfy even a picky eater. Here are a couple that I have made recently.


I used this recipe from Everyday Food, and it turned out great! I started out with my broiler on low, but ended up switching to high to get the true "blackened" effect.

I served it with Savory Butter Corn and Garlic Pepper Green Beans.

Savory Butter Corn
Place 10oz frozen sweet corn kernels in a small saucepan and add water to just cover. Cook over medium-low heat until warmed through, about 5-7 minutes.
Add 1 tbsp butter or margarine, 2 tbsp thinly sliced scallions, and coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.



A couple weeks ago I made this recipe from Cooking Light. It was meant to be served as a sandwich, but I served it with a side of pasta and tomato-spinach compote.

The compote recipe was from Everyday Food, but I changed it around a bit...

Tomato-Spinach Compote
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced 
4 garlic cloves, slivered 
Coarse salt and ground pepper 
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
1 (6oz) bag of baby spinach


Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice and spinach; cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and sauce is slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Serve over hot, cooked pasta.

Somehow, I forgot to take a photo of this one... darn. The leftover compote was delicious tossed with cooked pasta and some shredded parmesean cheese.

No comments: